In recognition of April as Autism Awareness Month, The Resource Center and the Chautauqua Mall will hold their second annual autism awareness event Saturday, April 15.
The free event will run from 10:00 to noon in the main concourse of the mall, located on Fairmount Avenue (Route 394) in Lakewood. Activities will be repeated during the two hours, so those interested in attending do not have to worry about being present for the entire event. Scheduled activities include:
- a scavenger hunt with the Chautauqua Mall’s KidX Kids Club
- an obstacle course based on NASA’s “Train Like an Astronaut” program
- representatives from The Home Depot Kids Workshop and TRC’s Creations art program will be on hand to help children with a craft project
- an information table where parents can learn to recognize the early signs of autism and what to do if they suspect a child may have autism
- a hands-on event for non-autistic children and adults so they can experience what it is like to live with autism
- information for parents on how to recognize the signs of autism and advice on what to do if you think your child may have autism
Before the event, there will be an Easter egg hunt. The hunt will begin at 8:30, with children divided into four age groups: 0-3, 4-6, 7-9, and 10-12.
For more information or to volunteer at the event, phone The Resource Center at 483-2344.